Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Hello, goodbye Taiwan

Taipei International Airport: Stepping off the plane was just like my first experience of stepping off a plane in Taiwan when I was seven. Hot sticky air and suddenly, as soon as you enter the terminal building, a rush of coolness and the smell of air-conditioning.

For some inexplicable reason it made me feel really homesick. though for which home I don't know. I had a mini panic a few days ago, when I realised I'd just settled back into things in Sydney and already it was time for me to leave again. I always thought it would get easier with every time you have to leave a place, but it seems to get harder. It's because now I know that your family and friends matter the most and while you can bring memories, photos and souvenirs with you, those family and friends stay put. Being in Sydney and speaking to Álvaro via skype with a webcam, and being able to send messages makes me so glad we live in these times and we're lucky enough to have this technology, and that we don't have to catch a five week boat to travel across the seas.

Still, I feel privileged to have such great friends both in Australia and Spain. Managed to catch up with most of the people I wanted to catch up with in Sydney, and ate lots of tasty food. Also hung out a lot with my nephews. Oliver has become very preppy, with his woolly Ralph Lauren vests and his babycinos, but in a cool way. I was quite sad to say goodbye to him this morning, but I like how children don't seem to be aware that when you leave, you could be gone for a long time. They give you a hug, say goodbye and run off to do their own thing.

Next stop Bangkok (for an hour).

3 comments:

abezares said...

Cati, es realmente hermoso esto que has escrito. Estoy de acuerdo, somos unos privilegiados de vivir en estos tiempos y de poder llevar dentro de nosotros a las personas que queremos.

Nunca olvides que tienes tres casas en el mundo: Australia, Taiwan y España. Otra vez más me siento feliz, feliz de que vuelvas. Álvaro

Monica Tan said...

Aw nice post. So true about kids!

I have made a bunch of friends here in Beijing, but none that I feel like I can be completely myself around. Which definitely reminds me of how important my good friends are.

Anonymous said...

Oliver is obviously not half as cluey as Gree. Did anyone tell you that he CRIED (like tears) for the rest of the day? So did Sally. Shiuey was a bit clueless as usual. Yes, i also think my child is very preppy :)