Sunday, April 09, 2006

Salty John

There's this sausage-like thing here called salchichon, except Breda thought it was salty john at first. It's sort of like salami but with squishy fat globules inside. I never imagined eating fat could feel so good. There's something else that's very similar called fuet (I think) that's covered with a white mould that tastes like the stuff on brie. At least, I think it's mould. I actually found green spots of mould on top of the white mould, which I wasn't sure was edible or not, but I ate it anyway.

We went out for churros and hot chocolate last Monday. Churros are these doughy sticks or twists that have been fried and drowned in sugar. You dip them into the hot chocolate. The hot chocolate in Spain is very different to Australia's. Here it's more like a hot, chocolately mousse that's served in a coffee cup. And in the supermarkets, if you want to buy a hot chocolate mix to make at home, you can either get Nesquik or Cola Cao which is humungously popular. There'll be around ten tins of Nesquik and the rest of the aisle will be stocked with Cola Coa in around twenty different sizes.

This is a photo of our night out last night. I discovered that if I put gel in my hair every day, after around three days it will sit how I want it to sit. But after three days I need to wash it or when I sleep the gel will glue my head to my pillow. The guy with the moustachy/beardy growth is Javier's best friend, Nacho. Every time I heard his name I felt hungry. I'm going to make nachos for Allen when he comes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

salchichon in portuguese we call salsichao,and very delicious.

Anonymous said...

salchichon in portuguese we call salsichao,and very delicious.

Caro said...

I've had Churros before. Cinnamony sugary sticks they sell at Disneyland, Universal Studios & those tacky American theme parks. Delicious !!! :)

Mel said...

hey cath!
Got your postcard- thanks!! Going to the races today. All of sydney knows because i was on Nova yesteray and merrick and rosso were asking me abt my wknd and making fun of me. and i lost the competition on radio anyways so double whammy. I will return the anime DVDs to your family soon - sorry for keeping them for so long!