Sunday, May 10, 2009

Macmillan, soccer and tortilla

On Wednesday, Macmillan, the publisher of the primary school textbooks that we use, held a series of talks to publicise their new textbooks and market their readers a little.

It was absolutely awesome. In the talks, the speaker talked about activities you could do with kids and every time he needed a volunteer, I was the first to put my hand up, because I love this sort of thing. Some of the teachers attending probably thought I was a bit crazy, or hyperactive and over-eager but I got free stamps for volunteering, so ha!

Afterwards, I met up with Beza to watch the all-important Barca vs Chelsea soccer match in a bar. It was a great match. Chelsea were winning 1-0 and Barca was down a player because of a penalty but in the last two minutes they scored a goal and the bar went crazy. So now they're in the finals which will be played at the end of May and I bet there'll be people waiting in the bars by 4 pm to nab some decent seats.

We went back to my flat to make dinner because the bar was just down the street from me and Beza kindly offered to make tortilla. So I started making homemade soy icecream while he fried up the potatoes and onion. While I was boiling the icecream on the stove, he asked me 'Is that it?'

I thought he was asking me if it was icecream so I said yes, and the next thing I knew, he'd grabbed the saucepan and poured it all into the potatoes and onions. My shriek of anguish almost cracked the glass in my flat. We ended up eating the eggs he hadn't used for dinner but I was incredibly upset that I had no tortilla and no icecream.

On Friday, I decided to recreate our unsuccessful tortilla. IIt was tasty-ish but lacked an egg, so it sort of fell apart. I've been told that if I learn nothing else in Spain I have to learn how to make a decent tortilla.

1 comment:

Monica Tan said...

I'm sure if I attempted to make a tortilla, I'd end up with a salad, or an apple, or like a sock or something!