Thursday, August 12, 2010

5 days, 2 people, 20 euros (Part 2)

Mum and dad, just to reassure you that I haven't starved these last five days, here's a list of some things we ate. (Photo: Our most expensive meal- 8 ham and asparagus rolls, 2,10 euros)

Breakfast: peach and banana smoothie, small coffee
Lunch: pasta with eggplant sauce, tortilla, homemade wontons, mushroom omelette
Dinner: creamy spinach on toast with anchovies, vegetable stirfry, tuna salad
Snacks: melba toast, biscuits (79 cents for a pack of 124 biscuits, this saved us), homemade potato chips

OK, I was hungry sometimes. Very hungry. Sometimes I would keep looking at my watch and count down the minutes until the next meal. But mostly it was bearable. And I'm a person who eats a lot.

I've had to do without my dairy-alternative products (except soy milk) because they're so much more expensive. I don't know how gluten-intolerant people would get by. Or diabetics.

The most cost-efficient meals were the vegetable stirfries (1.12 euros for 1 kg of frozen veggies, 3 servings) although you get hungry very quickly after, and the tortilla (1 euro for a 6 egg tortilla) which is big enough that you have leftovers for later.

The can of anchovies was probably the least cost-efficient- 60 cents for 9 tiny anchovies that are more a garnish than anything else. If we were to repeat this, I'd add more potato dishes or pulses (Beza flatly refused to eat pulses this time round), and somehow make the salads more filling.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this! When we were down to one salary, I stumbled across the Herald's Chew on This blog, which featured an article on how to eat for less. There was lots of filling meals out with sweet potato, potato and pulses. If you do eat meat, like pasta sauce, add beans or grated vegetables. It gave us some really good ideas. We also spend a lot of - too much - money eating out. You can eat out really cheaply here, but if you go to a non-Mexican restaurant, it's a lot compared to your salary.

Did you carry over money from one day to another if you had some left over?

Anonymous said...

wow, food in spain is CHEAP!!! You couldnt eat THAT in sydney for $2
A banana is about that price. ONe piece of fruit & you're done for the day!!!Carobs.

Unknown said...

so good
thank you for a hard work... Check my blog

Enjoy Earn Fun

Enjoy Earn Fun