Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Forty-two hours of non-stop party

So- I have a new keyboard. On Sunday, my space bar suddenly stopped functioning. I had an assessment task due the next day in Australia and I absolutely freaked out. The shops don't open on Sunday here either so I ended up assigning a new key to 'space' on Microsoft Word and cutting + pasting a 'space' every time I needed to search for something on the web. So frustrating I nearly cried. Actually, I threw a tantrum at my poor creature over the phone. Not at him, just near him. Then Mel came over and we ate a medium sized pizza each, I was so distressed.

Friday was supposed to be the university's birthday or something so someone decided to cancel all classes from Thursday onwards and have a massive 42 hour party, starting at 2pm on Thursday and finishing sometime on Saturday. They set up a tent near the gym and each faculty sets up a stall inside where they serve drinks non-stop for the duration of the celebration. I didn't go on Thursday, but I went on Friday night, from about midnight till 8am. (SO glad I skipped Thursday.) Ion, Breda's friend, was serving drinks and kept plying us with double portions of beer. Then Javier and his friends wanted to go for breakfast but I just wanted to sleep. Ended up getting home at around 9 am.

When I woke up, I felt improportionately hung over to the amount I'd drunk but then it turned out I had food poisoning. Probably from the dodgy breakfast place we went to- it was the only place open we could find.

Photo1: Tent on arrival
Photo 2: Javier's friends
Photo 3: Tent on departure

My new keyboard is strange. It has a different layout to the normal Australian one (with the 'n' with the squiggle on top and the 'c' with a tail) and the punctuation is situated differently as well, but when I use it, it's just the same as my normal one. So I can't use the squiggly 'n' and I can't really look at the keyboard when I type or I'll get confused. I felt so debilitated without a space bar.

4 comments:

Monica Tan said...

Yo I've never had food poisoning before and you've had it, what like 5 times this trip?

It was so weird travelling between countries and getting use to the @ sign being at different places...

I'd get use to it being in one place, and then have to get used to it being in another, and then get use to that, but then later have to get use to it back in the old place again...

Caro said...

what are you doing in france? when you coming back? Did you get my letter? i assumed sms was from you. only you would write something like that.

Anonymous said...

why has nobody thanked me for the pizza?!!?!? Why why why!?!?!??!

Anonymous said...

Darling, long time no talk. Alfie misses you.