Thursday, July 27, 2006

I've eaten too many pretzels

Erfurt is a lovely town. It only has a population of around 250 000 so is very small but when I got here I still managed to get lost and walked in a loop before I found my hostel. Lonely Planets didn't mention anything about Martin Luther at all, which I'm very indignant about because I would have liked to know that he used to live and study at the monastery here. I had a weird interaction with an old man on the tram. He saw me puzzling over my directions for the hostel, and asked me something in German which I didn't understand but I thought he wanted to help me so I walked to him and he took my paper. Then he jabbered away while I stared and shook my head, and then he pointed to me, and then to his teeth or his mouth and gave a thumbs up sign. It looked like he was telling me a had nice teeth or he wanted to see them or something, so I flashed him a dazzling smile and then bared my teeth at him so he could have a look. I think he gave me a weird look but I couldn't tell. He was weird already. That shut him up for a bit, then he started talking again and then he got up to leave at the next stop and shook my hand, but at the tram door, he turned back and asked me something ending with a 'no?' and repeated the hand to mouth sign. I was like 'no' because I thought that was what he wanted me to say and also because I had no idea what was going on. So he said bye and left.

It later occurred to me it looked like he was mimicking eating. Maybe he wanted to eat me. Or maybe he was asking me to tea with me. Darn. I was hoping he was telling me I had beautiful teeth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eating is an art. eat moderately is good for both mental and body growth. too many and too litter are always no good.

Caro said...

you have beautiful teeth. who is anonymous??? they sound creepy