Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Children can be morons

Had a massive headache this morning, went to school and had to deal with screaming kids for 4.5 hours. Don't know if it's just that I'm sick and in a bad mood, but I swear children are getting dumber and dumber.

I gave them a cutting and colouring activity to do and repeated MANY MANY times in English AND Spanish that they should first cut, then colour. I showed them my completed craft and explained how it worked so they wouldn't make mistakes. Half of them immediately started colouring and another quarter started cutting the wrong things. So I had to repeat 'No! Cut first!' And then they looked at me blankly and asked 'How?'

What do you mean how??? You grab a pair of bloody scissors and you cut along the bloody dotted lines. If there are no dotted lines, DON'T CUT. These are 9, 10 year old kids. If they were younger, I'd understand that maybe they haven't developed the motor skills or the concentration to listen to instructions for twenty seconds. It's so simple and logical. a) Cut along ALL the dotted lines. b) Colour in. I hate to say it, but some of them are a bit retarded. One of the girls made a mistake, scrunched up her paper and asked me for another one. I was like, 'No. Why should I waste another piece of paper on you just because you're stupid? You'll probably screw it up again anyway.'

Yes, perhaps I was a bit nasty today. Well, I don't care. I'm going to bed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is something I find helpful - you ask them 'instructions checking questions'. For example, what's the first thing you do? - cut. What's the second thing you do - colour in. Or, do you cut first or second? - first. Hope that helps. Lisa

from claudius said...

I did, but it's the ones who are listening who answer and they're the ones who got it in the first place. The idiot ones who don't listen and don't answer are the ones who get it wrong.

I hate kids.

Monica Tan said...

Maybe don't tell them to colour, just tell them to cut. Ask them to bring their scissors out (while showing them scissors) and if they bring out their colouring pencils tell them to put them away.

Then when most of them have done that, tell them they can colour now?

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA I don't know what is funnier. Your blog or Lisa's COMMENTS! She is hilarious. She really should go be a psychologist. love carobs

Anonymous said...

Lisa's comments are going to leave me in stitches for a long time! She doesn't even mean to be funny.