Monday, January 12, 2009

Snow at last

When it snows or when it's night time and the streets are hazy from the fog and yellow streetlights, it's so silent and peaceful. But when it's just damn cold and grey, I feel like turning off my mobile, unplugging the phone and hiding in my bed till Spring.

It snowed on Friday, and for once, instead of hiding in the teachers' lounge, I went out at recess and threw snowballs at the kids. They threw some back at me but the principal, who was on yard duty told them off, haha hahaha. I had an awesome time. Some of the midgets throw really hard. But I throw harder.

On Thursday night one of the sockets in the flat disconnected from the wall for absolutely no reason and started shooting out sparks for a while. I think some of the cables had come loose and the fridge stopped working as well. So I rang my dad who suggested I kill the power switch in the flat just to be on the safe side and go to bed. The next morning, I got dressed in the dark and when I got to school, realised I'd put on my jumper back to front.

On Friday night, despite the cold, I went to The Pad and played Singstar with my friends and they cruelly made me sing in Spanish to songs I'd never heard. We braved the cold, went to the bars for a few cubatas and then Bola and Carlos took me to a bakery that starts baking at about 4 am and we bought chorizo pan, croissants and snails pastries.

So it was a pretty good week, just the fact I had to go back to work on Thursday and couldn't think of anything to prepare for the classes (so didn't) and the freezing cold that made it a bit gruesome. Also, after a week of going to bed at 8 am and waking up at 5 pm, it was INSANELY difficult to wake up at 8:30 am. (Photo: Entering the school grounds, 15 minutes late)

1 comment:

Monica Tan said...

I love that the kids got in trouble for throwing snowballs, but you didn't!