Saturday, January 03, 2009

New Years Eve

I was so happy to arrive in Logroño on the 30th I nearly hugged the bus driver. I didn't know I could miss it so much. On the 31st, I was having New Years Eve dinner with Beza's family and he told me I'd stuff myself so not to eat anything that day. (Photo: Beza's dad gave us all these Christmas hats to wear.)

At around 8 pm, most of the guys met up to have celebratory pre-drinks in San Juan (a pinchos street, like Laurel but smaller). Because I'd only eaten a slice of bread that day, taking Beza's advice, after the second drink I already felt like if I drank any more I'd pass out. We went back to our respective places at around 10 pm. Most of the guys were eating with their families- NYE here is surprisingly familial.

I did end up stuffing myself. Beza's parents kept telling me to take more, so I was like, OK. I think his mum was a bit surprised. She cooked fantastically. There was an entire piglet, spliced in half and roasted in the oven, plus prawns, meat, salad, vegetables... At midnight, there's a tradition of eating 12 grapes in the 12 second countdown to midnight, which I didn't know about, but was cool.

We headed to The Pad afterwards where everyone was meeting and had drinks till about 3 or 4, then headed to the bars. At some point in the night, Rubén, Beza and I lost everyone else, so we went and had our own party at La Moon which we had to pay for for the first time EVER. Talk about milking it on NYE.

Ended up getting home at about 9:30 or 10 am, more dead than alive. There's a music festival on at the moment, so yesterday we went to a concert of Tony Allen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't choke on the GRAPES!!! how dangerous. Love carobs

Anonymous said...

Dad was just here reading your blog. So you know you are loved by at least TWO people (me & dad). He went out with Mum's mobile phone, & kept wanting to know it's number. I don't know it, & mum was very noncommital, but he kept bugging us & I'm like, you want to know it why? So when you get lost, you can go to a public telephone and call yourself??? I thought that was very funny. love carobs, again