Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm so BEEzy

My last week has been crazy. I can't even begin to give a detailed explanation of all the things I've done, food I've consumed... (Photo: Mel, Gian and me)

Brief outline:

Monday 8th- Em, Mel and I went out for our Christmas dinner. It was our present to each other, since we didn't want to give a gift that you would then have to take home because we have limited baggage space. We got dressed up and went to Leite's, a traditional Spanish restaurant. I got a pumpkin pie dessert (sounds more like a thanksgiving dessert from the US but was very good.) (Photo: before leaving the house)

Tuesday 9th- Lunch with Quique. He's so sweet. He bought us typical Spanish food (didn't want to cook in case he poisoned us all). We all sat around and chatted. Well, the others chatted. I just ate. He has a really cool house. It's actually a house! It's the third Spanish house I've been in since being in Spain (the other two were both in the country). And his house has this really cool wine cellar and an automatic corkcscrew. The ceiling was covered with splatters from the bottles that people didn't open properly. (Photo: at Quique's house)

Wednesay 10th- Alice arrived so we went to pick her up at the train station and then I cooked dinner for our flat and invited Croissant and Alexis along as well. I made a sweet chilli pad thai but we didn't have sweet chilli sauce so I used sweet and sour sauce and added chopped chillis and honey. It was a bit dodgy. At least nobody threw up afterwards. (Photo: Alice doing the glass recycling)


Thursday 11th- farewell dinner at Em's place. Stefano organised it and it was a general farewell because so many people are leaving in the next few weeks. I accidentally tripled my recipe of meatballs so ended up with 2.5 kg of meat that I got Alice to roll into balls. She smelt like a dead cow afterwards. Not really. Her hands did. But tasty dead cow. I made an apple sauce to go with them as well and everyone said they were great, except the Croissant who came up to me with one meatball left on her plate and asked me 'Do you want it? I don't like them.' I thought she was joking because she knew I'd made them but after a few seconds, I realised she was serious. So I said 'You do know I made them, don't you?' and she just looked at me blankly and repeated 'I don't like them. They have this flavour...' and pulled a poo face (the kind of face you pull when you realise you've just stepped in the shit of a dog with bad digestion). I mean, by all means tell me when my food is so bad everyone's going to end up in hospital with salmonella but if you don't like it, just leave it on the plate uneaten. I have been icy towards her since then (ahahah hahahaha hahahahah hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahahahaha hahah!)

Friday 12th- had lunch at Alexis's place, ate 4 pancakes (everyone one else only ate two. I am officially a glutton.) He borrowed our saucepans because he only had one tiny crappy one and still hasn't given us ours back yet. The Brazilians came over and cooked feijoada at our house. They wouldn't put bull testicles in it like I tried to request, but they did put pig ear and blood sausages. SOOO tasty. I wanted to eat the whole pot. There were about twelve of us there, including Johanna's mum. Her mum had come to visit her for a week and she's the loveliest person imaginable. She told me she thought Spanish women needed to be emancipated. I say Yes! And also emancipated from their makeup. It was a completely Brazilian meal. I made pao de queijo for appetisers, then we had feijoada with guarana to drink (and caipirinha) and brigadero for dessert. Tanya, Marie (in the photo, left to right) and Gian made three huge pots of feijoada. Naturally, since one of the pots was left at our house, it was empty by the next day. (Photo: the pots of feijoada)



Saturday 13th- had a big night out with the boys. They took us for dinner at La Mafia, an Italianish restaurant where the food was delicious (embarrassingly, I think I ate more than the boys. Next time I eat out with them, I am not going to sit in the vicinity of Javier because his eating habits make me look like a 150 kg binge eater. Not attractive. But it was soooo good... how can you say no to crust?!) Alice didn't want to go out afterwards, so Luisfran, who lives nearby, kindly gave us a lift to our flat and I got to check out his Chopper in the garage. I got on it and tried to look like those angry butch photos of women on huge bikes but I think I just looked dwarfed and sulky. It's such a beautiful bike. This is the kind Allen wants so now I've decided it's not such a bad idea after all if he gets one. (Photos: Alice, me and Beza at dinner; digestive shots; me on Chopper, Luisfran's girlfriend)


After dinner, we went to the finca, the abandoned house at the edge of town. Had a few (read: lots of) drinks there then headed off to the city. Normal place, normal time, usual people, the wonderful and whacky friends of Javier. Except Fernando couldn't make it because he was too tired. He left us after dinner. I just realised I have one more weekend to party hard with the boys before I leave. *sniff*. At least my liver can do with a break. Andres, Em and I stopped off for a kebab. We were going to get our last potatoes but the woman said she was done making potatoes for the night, selfish cow. So we went to the good kebab place instead. (Photos: group; Andres, Em and I going for kebabs)

Sunday 14th- the first and last time that Alice got to go for tapas. Jason won't have the privilege at all but not my fault. (Photos: Lisa and Alice with the shrimp and pineapple pincho)

Monday 15th- Emily's last full day in Spain. We met up with Javier's parents for afternoon tea and his mum went to heaps of trouble of bringing out the nice English china with the plates piled high with cakes, tarts, biscuits, pastries, chocolates... It was lovely, although I didn't want to stuff my face in case I looked like I glutton in front of Javier's parents. (Photo: the Aussies with Javier and his parents)

Then, this morning at 1:15 am, Lisa and Alice left for the train to Barcelona so I'm ALONE ALONE ONCE MORE ALONE ALONE ALL ALONE!

I think I will be spending my time on skype with my creature.

No comments: