Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tongue!

I had the best Saturday night ever in Logrono. It was just so typical and normal. I didn't want it to stand out or be sad because I want to leave with happy memories of this place but I knew I was leaving so every moment was a final moment of my time here. Except my hangover the next day. Which really is atypical. I only remember two other hangovers in Logrono (pretty impressive considering how much wine flows through this place). The first one was my first weekend here last year (thanks, Javi) and the other one was some other random night where I obviously drank too much. (Photo: Ruben and me with tickets to Concept)


Two new Brazilians have moved in. The landlady rang up Gian on Sunday and said she would be over in half an hour and when she arrived, she had two Brazilian boys in tow and told us they were going to be moving in when our lease ran out, but since it was only a few days till the beginning of February, they may as well move in now. If we didn't have a problem with it. Oh, no, we said, of course not. I think it would have been more tactful to have asked us when the boys weren't there, although I don't think they would have understood anyway. Today, I was talking to one of the boys, explaining how I could move my food off a fridge shelf if they wanted it and I was chatting away happily for five minutes and he just kept nodding and smiling. Then later he went and told Gian 'That girl just spoke to me and I didn't understand a word she said.' Apparently they don't speak Spanish. They're hilarious- they came to Spain a month early because they didn't know when the next semester started and figured they wouldn't miss it if they came now. And they hit the beer bottles as soon as the shops opened this morning (yesterday was Sunday- supermarkets closed) and haven't stopped since. (Photo: twilight in Espolon)


Tonight Alexis invited us over to his place for dinner. I made a tongue dish but I told everyone it was beef until they tried it and then I burst into hysterical laughter and shrieked 'They're bull testicles!' Mel had never tried it before and she said it was really tasty until she found out what it was. It was hard work. I had to go to four butchers before I found one with tongue and then I had to boil it for two hours and peel it and scrape off the taste buds. Actually I would have made the dish with testicles if they had had any but apparently they only get deliveries of criadillas on Fridays. At least I got to use my new word (Ruben told me you can't just go into a butcher and ask for testicles of bull because they have a special name for them. Trust the Spanish to have ten different words for balls). (Photo: tongue)

One night last week I made curry for our flat, the Croissant and Alexis and we were all sitting there but couldn't start eating because the Croissant and Alexis kept talking and talking. I was tired, it was late, I was irritable so I said snidely (but meant in a jovial manner) to Alexis 'From now I'm going to call you The Mouth and her The Other Mouth'. Now I think I have a better use for their tongues. (Photo: tongue in pot)

2 comments:

Caro said...

we love u in this post 2

Anonymous said...

we love u in this post 2