Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Harbour Bridge is my friend

I walked across the Harbour Bridge at sunset last week. My friend came from one side, I came from another and we met in the middle like long-lost lovers.

Then she went to meet her friend for dinner and I went to a seminar. As I walked along, I realised it's the one definitively Sydney thing that I'll miss. Despite the busy traffic, the blustery wind, the ugly grey fences they put up to stop you from jumping over and killing yourself, I love walking across the Harbour Bridge.

I've only ever had good memories of walking the Harbour Bridge (in a car or train is a different story). Once you step on, you can only go forward - or backwards I guess, if you decide you want to get across a different way. For someone who always gets lost and has the sense of direction of a blind chicken, it's nice to know it's virtually impossible to get lost (although when I arranged to meet my friend, we didn't discuss which side we'd meet on so I ended up going onto the wrong side and having to backtrack for 20 minutes).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.