Saturday, September 27, 2008

I have internet!

My flatmate is great! I got home to Logrono at about 2 am this morning, to find a note on my pillow from Pablo saying he'd gone back to the Canary Islands to visit his family but he'd call me in the morning when I was awake. And he'd got the internet and telephone installed while I was gone and left me instructions on how to use them.

The other flatmate still hasn't moved in yet, but he's supposed to be doing that either tomorrow or Monday. And I'll be off to Madrid again for my orientation on Tuesday. So I've got the flat to myself for two days, yay!

I went searching for the Muffin Man in Drury Lane. I thought he might look a bit like the Gingerbread Man from Shrek but more muffiny. London was so relaxing. I think it makes a huge difference if you're staying with friends as opposed to paying for accommodation. With friends, it's so much more casual, you don't feel the need to cram in as many cultural things and tourist sights as possible. And my brain had a fantastic rest from Spanish. (Photos: Do you know the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man?; Globe Theatre)

Went to see Avenue Q with Laura on Wednesday night, then went to see a matinee performance of Stomp on Thursday. Avenue Q was hilarious. It's about these puppets and people who live on a street in New York.

There was a sex scene that was almost as graphic as the one in Team America. Stomp was crazy. There's no speaking at all, the 8 performers just tap dance and make sounds with random items like toothpick boxes, garbage bins, basketballs, brooms... It makes you realise how inventive people are, and how you can make a musical instrument out of anything. Although if I had a child who insisted on playing percussion on every available item/surface, I would throttle it and chop off its arms.

Vanessa insisted on paying for almost everything, even though I was already staying with her for free, so I cooked dinner on Thursday night for her and her flatmates. Ness is my friend from primary school. Laura's a friend from high school, who I went to Nepal with. It's strange how there are some people you just stay friends with no matter what, and others who come and go in your life. I love my friends.

Yesterday, I caught a bus from Finchley Road to London Stansted Airport. The buses were supposed to come every 20 minutes but I was waiting there for 50 minutes before one turned up. Apparently they'd cancelled two buses. Luckily I got there early, so I managed to get to my flight on time, but there was a guy beside me who was going apoplectic with stress and rage.

And then when I had to catch the bus from Zaragoza airport to the train station, to catch the train back, I missed the bus stop. It's normally the last one, so I wasn't paying attention and then suddenly everyone was getting off. So I asked the bus driver and he said 'It was back there. I didn't drive in, but didn't you hear me calling out "Get off here for the station"?' They have a weird system. There are STOP buttons on the bus, but the driver decides whether to stop or not by shouting out 'Does anyone need to get off?' and if no one answers, he drives on.

He was really nice though. Once everyone had got off, he drove back to the train station and dropped me off by the entrance.

On the train, in the food carriage, these two old men started having a fight. It was absolutely hysterical. They were both old, fat and drunk. One of them worked for the train I think, and he was talking to his colleagues really loudly and suddenly the other man got up and lurched to his table and shouted 'You have no shame! You are shameless!' over and over. Then the first guy stood up and started shouting 'How dare you say I'm shameless?' and the second guy shrieked 'Let's get off at Logrono and we'll settle this! We'll sort this out then!'

I was really hoping they would actually get off at Logrono so I could watch them fighting, but they didn't. Everyone else was pretending not to be interested, but I was fully enjoying the free entertainment.

No comments: