Saturday, October 25, 2008

Burgos, Vitoria and internet (lack of)

Last Sunday, my flatmate Pablo and I went to Burgos. It was very scenic.

It felt a bit weird because it was a Sunday afternoon and there were hardly any people on the streets in Burgos. There were quite a few tourists though. The top photo is of the famous archway. There's also a famous cathedral, which the pilgrims visit, I guess, when they do the Camino de Santiago which goes through Burgos.

The night before, I'd semi-crashed a wedding function that Javi and Ruben had been invited to and stayed out till about 6 am. Four hours later, Pablo and I caught the bus to Burgos and walked around for six hours. (Photos: with the statue of a pilgrim in Burgos; nice avenue with chestnut trees and lots of chestnuts on the ground.)

By the end of the day I was buggered. Pablo also took photos non-stop. He took more photos in 24 hours than I did in a fortnight of travelling. And the only reason he stopped was because his camera ran out of battery, but then he started taking photos with my camera so now cumulatively we have about 450 photos of one and a half days.

I think my smile started looking a bit frozen. We had morcilla and fried eggs as one of our tapas dishes for dinner. Morcilla is a Burgos specialty- it's like blood sausage with rice and onions and stuff. Very tasty. I love food.

On Monday morning, we visited the cathedral then decided there was nothing else to do in Burgos and caught the bus to Vitoria, which is the capital of the Basque region. I liked Vitoria so much better. It was much more vibrant. And we ordered a Menu del Dia at a Chinese restaurant for lunch, which gave you 3 dishes, plus drink plus dessert for only 6.95 euros. Bargain!

Our internet is still not working in the flat. Almost two weeks now. Pablo's been calling Orange (our internet provider) every day since last Tuesday when it broke down, to get them to fix it but they've decided they want to take their sweet time. And since they don't work on the weekends, it means at the earliest it'll be fixed tomorrow which I highly doubt. I am Very Bitter. (Photo: some slogan about the Basque country. I don't know what it means because I can't read it but I'm sure it's something like 'Freedom to the Basque region').

3 comments:

rubén said...

Ehm, it actually stands for "basque prisoners and refugees BACK HOME". And yes, it has to do with some political movement: they claim that basque prisoners should be brought "home" to prisons in the Basque Country. You know.

Greetings from my cold, lonely home.

Monica Tan said...

Assuming you slept for 8 hours, that's 1 photo every 3.7 minutes!!

Anonymous said...

did you eat the chestnuts!?!?!? That's what I want to know. We took Matty swimming & he got sand all in the grooves of his poor neck, arms, legs etc. He was also shovelling sand into his mouth like there was no tomorrow. I obviously don't feed him enough.