Saturday, December 06, 2008

All hail Mini Claud

My dad sent me a mini laptop from Taiwan, which I received on Thursday. When I got home from work, I saw the delivery sitting in the hallway and I got so excited I jumped up and down throughout the flat screaming with joy. My flatmates were sitting in the living room and Juan Carlos said he got really freaked when he heard me enter and start shrieking at the top of my voice.

I've called my mini laptop Mini Claud, after Claudius, my big laptop. It's so tiny and light, it fits in my handbag (which admittedly my friends say can fit a dead baby, it's so big).

I'm currently in a bar near my house where they let you use their wireless internet if you buy food or drink. It's going to be my new daily hangout. We've finally cancelled our contract with Orange (aka The Shit Internet Provider) and have signed up with Telefonica, the evil national phone company. But apparently it takes up to two weeks for the contract to be actually cancelled, and only after it's been cancelled will Telefonica sign us up officially and then that might take another two weeks, and then they'll need to send us a router, which can take up to another two weeks, so I'm guessing I won't have internet in my flat until mid-January. If we're lucky.

Had a great day yesterday. After work, Javi, Rubén, Beza and I went to the Drunken Duck for lunch, then Javi went to soundproof the place where he and his band practise and the rest of us went to The Pad and put Mulholland Drive on TV while we had a siesta. Well, I had a siesta, don't know about the others. Again, David Lynch is too weird. I kept waking up at various points in the movie and had no idea what was going on. The people all looked the same but the characters had changed. (Photo: Bottle of Havana Club with a Havana Club banner in the background, at The Pad, where else?)

Today is a public holiday, as is Monday, so I had to buy enough food yesterday to last me three or four days. It's a pain in the arse carrying my shopping home.

Hmmm, have just found one of the inconveniences of sitting in a bar using a mini laptop. This old drunk man entered and started talking to me, except he was so drunk he mumbled and I couldn't understand what he was saying. I think he was asking me questions about the computer. So I just smiled and nodded and after a while he turned away. But then he started talking to me again, but I didn't know he was directing his conversation at me so I ignored him, and he tapped me on the shoulder with his walking stick. And then after a while he did it again.

Thankfully he's left, but before he left he said 'You'll be coming here a lot with your laptop won't you? I'll see you soon then.'

Ugh. I hope not.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, you got a mini computer. Is it an EPC? It's like half a computer right? I think Jason's got one. They're really cute, only you have to really peer into the screen and you can't really type if you've got fat fingers.

Anonymous said...

YOUR FATHER SENT YOU A MINI LAPTOP!!! Wow. My father never gave me a mini laptop. Not that I'm complaining because I don't understand why one would want one anyway. Actually he may have offered to get me one but I probably thought it was silly. Please PEAS Please, send me some craft. I"m going to be sending you a Christmas Card.

Monica Tan said...

Hee hee, can't believe he actually tapped you with his walking stick (twice!) And rightly guessed you had planned on making it your regular hangout.