Monday, December 01, 2008

Snew!

1. It snowed this afternoon. In fact it could still be snowing, but I wouldn't know because I've got my blinds down to keep in the heat.

2. I had a series of unfortunate events on Saturday morning at about 4 am. First, I filled up my hot water bottle and put it in my bed while I brushed my teeth. Then when I got into bed, I felt this burning sensation up my leg. Apparently my hot water bottle had exploded and soaked my blankets (and no, that is not a euphemism for peeing in my bed). So I had to change all my blankets and sheets. And sleep without a hot water bottle.

That's OK, I thought. I still have a heat pack. So I put my heat pack in the microwave for two minutes while I changed my sheets and when I went to pull it out, all this dense, black smoke billowed into my face. It had burnt through. So I stood in the freezing kitchen, airing it out with the window open, cursing the world.

And minus hot water bottle, minus heat pack and minus warm blanket, I spent a VERY VERY uncomfortable night. Plus I smelt like burnt heat pack beads.

3. Notwithstanding, I had a good weekend, as always.

4. My next mission is to find a laundromat here. My wet sheets from Saturday are still hanging outside and with all the rain/snow, I suspect they'll never dry.

5. Friday was a public holiday for teachers, the Day of the Teacher (sort of like the Day of the Triffids). Not that it made any difference to me because I wasn't working anyway, but because Ana didn't have to work, she came out for 2 euro pints with us on Thursday night. Very fun.

No comments: