Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Day Two, Camino

Yesterday was a bit of a stress and in comparison, today has been fantastic.

Had a stressful weekend. It was my last day of work on Friday, which was actually very cruisey, because the first and second graders had an excursion to the Science Museum in Logroño and the principal asked me if I wanted to go so of course I said yes. We played in the park afterwards.

But then on Saturday, I tried to book accommodation for Eastern Europe with my parents and realised I needed to transfer money in my bank account. Except I'd forgotten my password, tried to reset it, called up and finally got it to work only to be told I needed another password to transfer money (what kind of moronic, albeit secure, system is that?), which I couldn't remember either and this one I needed to reset via telephone but the office for that was closed.

Gave up and went out with Ana and Beza to have a cocktail instead. Then on Sunday, I packed some of my stuff and took it to Beza's house because I have to move out of the flat by the 19th June. We had lunch with his parents, who cook awesome food. His dad goes to the mountains once a week to pick wild mushrooms and makes scrambled eggs with mushroom that are the best thing I've had in ages.

When I came home, booked the accommodation (realised I actually did have enough in my account), which took almost three hours. Then packed my backpack for the camino.

Left home yesterday at about 9 am. Again, some internet guides said it was 26 km but it was more like 30. So it took longer than expected and when I arrived in Nájera, the guy at the front desk of the pilgrims' albergue said all the beds were taken. Then he checked and said there was one left. It was basically a huge room with 100 bunks but much better than sleeping in a school basketball court which is where they put the pilgrims who arrive too late to get a bed. It's also free but you can donate if you like.

Today, left at 6.30 am and arrived at 10.45 am and was the first to check in. Today's albergue in Santo Domingo is a palace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you like walking all the time? Where to where? I have no idea whereabouts you are. I dont even know where logrono is. So were you walking by yourself? I thought i was good doing 10kms the other day. You did 30 in one day?!
but in my defence, i was pushing a pram weighing 40kg, carobs