Saturday, June 27, 2009

Eating meat is fun

Busy, insane week. Said goodbye to my flat in my barrio in Logroño for the last time on Friday night. It was a bit sad- I've had some good times and some wonderful memories there. Also said goodbye to Pablo the flatmate, but he'll be back in September for exams so we've arranged to catch up then, hopefully with Juan Carlos as well.

On Saturday Beza's brother got married and I got invited along to join in the festivities. The wedding was in a beautiful church in a tiny village in La Rioja. Some of the villages in La Rioja are extremely dubious, populated only by ten old bachelors and the local baker but this one was very picturesque, with a leafy park where they set up tables for the wedding feast. I have to say it was one of the funnest and coolest weddings I've been to. Eva wore hippy flowing clothes, no bridesmaids/grooms, minimal flowers and their friends sang the songs during the service. (Photo: With the married couple, the legendary hippy uncle and Beza)

On Sunday morning at 7 am, took the six hour bus ride to Barcelona for my flight to Prague. The parents were waiting for me at the airport and after nine months apart, it was great to be with them again. I had no idea there was so much meat to be had in the Czech Republic and at such cheap prices. Beer too. In the five days in the Czech Republic my dad must have drunk about six litres of beer, which may not seem much to some, but my parents are wine drinking folk who shun beer.

From Prague we headed to Brno which has a fascinating Capuchin monastery with naturally mummified bodies of past friars and the Mendel museum. After about five or six consecutive meat-only meals, we had lunch at a vegetarian restaurant where you pile up a plate and they charge you based on weight.

We're currently in Budapest, Hungary which is also amazingly meat laden. The only thing with Hungarian food is that it seems to be lactose-intolerance unfriendly. (Photo: Luther with view of the Danube River)

1 comment:

Monica Tan said...

Sounds like a great wedding! And have fun on your travels :)