Monday, June 08, 2009

Land of lions

In Leon! Eight days and 180 kms later, I've arrived in Leon with Beza.

He met me in Burgos on Friday. I was going to go to the bus station to meet him at around 6 pm, but I called him at around 3.15 pm, while sitting in a cafe in Plaza Mayor eating lunch and he said he was just leaving work in Logroño to have lunch. So we were chatting happily and suddenly he said 'Look to your left.' And there he was, coming towards me.

Apparently he asked to leave work early so he could catch the 1 pm bus and surprise me.

On Saturday we caught the bus to Sahagún, then walked to El Burgo de Ranero (a village of about 250 people). It's been a great week, though we got rained on this morning. The first few days were sunny and hot. I got up at around 5.30 every morning and started walking at about 6.15. I've met an insane amount of Germans, some Dutch (including a man of about 70 who started in Holland), French, Spanish and a few Koreans. And a New Zealander. Surprisingly, no Australians and no English, though I did meet an Irish guy.

Later in the week, Beza and I are heading to the beach up north. He has family in San Sebastian so we get free accommodation with his aunt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you travelling with Beza? who is he btw? Who is alzon(sorry that person i'm sending the parcel to?). Apparently woman said she'd send it today. Thanks. wish i could meet up wtih you with the parents. So much more preferrable to FREEZING temperatures here.