Sunday, November 09, 2008

Dinner, masks and Roman bridges

On Wednesday, I decided to make dinner for my flatmates and a few friends. I invited Beza, Javi and Ruben over. It was fun- we finished off a bottle of wine before we'd even started eating.

I made some masks for the Infant classes, to teach them the names of family members, and got the guys to put them on. There's also a Grandpa and Grandma (not shown). And actually, the 3rd and 4th graders really liked my masks too. I wasn't intending on using them for their classes but they spotted them when I got to class and clamoured to put them on.

My 'teaching' has been going quite well (except for Thursday, when I woke up with a slight hangover and missed a class by accident). Sometimes I feel like a glorified babysitter. I just arrive, amuse them for a few hours while their parents are at work, and leave. The 2nd graders in Logrono are little shits and the 6th graders are rowdy and incorrigible and the 3 year olds still don't really speak, but the rest are great.

On Friday, visited the Frank Gehry-designed bodega in Elciego. Well, looked at it from the outside. You need to pay a hefty fee to go in. Apparently, it's supposed to look like a bunch of grapes, and depending on where you're standing, the colours change. I think they do beauty treatments there as well, all from grapes (probably the waste products from the harvest and wine production- and why not, if people will pay lots of money to have crap slopped on them and be told it will make them look more youthful). There is a stench in the town, of squashed rotten grapes.

Also visited a Roman bridge from the 2nd Century AD. It's amazing that it's still standing, although obviously you can't walk on it. And it's pretty big as well. I find anything over a few hundred years old fascinating because Australia doesn't have anything.

On Saturday night, went over to Javi's and Beza's flat, brought them a gift of toilet paper (because they'd run out for the last week or so and I don't like peeing with no toilet paper), watched TV, ate pizza without cheese (the topping stays on surprisingly well), drank beer and then met up with the rest of the guys who'd been out watching the soccer. Life is sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice masks. Good work. Caro