Monday, November 24, 2008

Free sofa!

Had a great weekend. On Friday night, there was dinner at the flat. I love watching guys cook while I stand there drinking beer or wine. Carlos was halfway through making the salad when he went 'Ostia! There's no vinegar. And the supermarket's closed.' There was a horrified silence until someone bravely said 'That's all right. We don't need it.' (Photo: My hamburger)

Spanish salad dressing consists of vinegar, olive oil and salt. Not having vinegar is like eating a meat pie without tomato sauce. Or a vegemite sandwich without vegemite. Personally, I hardly ever use vinegar so I didn't miss it.

Afterwards we went to Bassanova and drank mojitos, which for some reason were cheaper than beer, which meant we had a few. And finished the night with kebabs.

On Saturday evening, Beza, Andrés and I went to watch one of our friends, Millán, play ice hockey against Pamplona. He plays for the Logroño team. I went ice skating with him a few weeks ago, and he told me they actually weren't very good. But they won, hurray! In the photo, Millán is the second from the left.

It was the first live ice hockey game I've seen. I expected a bit more bashing and blood (there was no blood at all) but they played really well and the third part was great. It made me miss playing team sports in high school.

I'd like to learn how to play but I don't skate well enough. And I get very competitive. The other day, in my gym class, the instructor split us into two teams to play a ball game and I started getting a bit aggressive. And this is against elderly folk (well, people between 35 and 70). I snatched the ball from a gentleman of about 65 years and accidentally bonked him on the head. And I whacked this woman when I tried to keep her from getting the ball. (Photo: Rubén's shirt. He has a collection of insane t-shirts that always crack me up)

Anyway, after the game, had pinchos in Laurel with Beza and met up with the others for more drinking.

Going home at about 5 am, we spotted a sofa one of my neighbours had thrown out. So Rubén helped me carry it up to my room and we took turns sitting on it. It'd been raining so it was a bit wet, but I spent a nice cosy Sunday afternoon armed with my hair dryer, drying it off (and hopefully blasting away germs). It's a kind of mossy/pea green colour, very reminiscent of the '70s, very comfortable and so ugly it's adorable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sofa looks gross colour! I hope it doesn't have too many germs on it. To make you feel better our tartan sofa was also free. But we knew where it came from. carobs