Friday, September 15, 2006

Hatred! Hatred!

I´d forgotten how rude and pushy and obnoxious the Spanish can be. Always shoving to be first in line, the first out of the aeroplane, the first to BE RUDE... bah! When we touched down in Barcelona, you could tell who the Spaniard were because they were already out of their seats and hustling towards the exits before the plane had stopped moving. And at Zaragoza, when I went to buy my train ticket for Logroño, the woman at the desk had the sulkiest face I´d ever seen and practically snatched the money from me and threw back the change. I mean, if it´s an inconvenience for her to sell me a ticket, perhaps she´s in the wronge line of work. At that moment, it fully hit me that I was back in Spain.

Never mind... four months more of rudeness and then I´m home. Home to beautiful anonymity, home to a country where people don´t stare at you for looking different, hooooooome to my little red demon dog.

I buy this delicious fruit and nut mix in which there are only hazelnuts which I disapprove of. I used to throw them out or give them to my friend, but I´ve decided to hoard them in a little bag and use them as ammunition on the next people who enrage me. The next time someone pushes me out of the way to grab something from the aisle, the next time someone asks me if I´m Japanese, the next time someone coughs or sneezes 2 cms away from my face without covering, I´m going to pelt them with my hazelnuts. Like a demented squirrel with an anger management problem. Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

like one of those squirrels in the mutts

Monica Tan said...

It will be nice to have you back too!