Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Surströmming- a rotten word

I finally tried it. I was traumatised.

The can was a bit distended, which I thought was how I´d bought it, but when I went to open it with the can opener, the release of pressure caused the fetid briny water to spray out of the can straight into my face. Apparently it had been fermenting inside the can without me knowing and Elisabeth´s friend who said it smelt like a dirty toilet was very right in her observation. So I sat there gasping for breath which didn´t help because I was covered with rancid water but I didn´t want to go inside and rinse off in case the smell clung to Elisabeth´s furniture.

It didn´t taste that bad, just really salty and kind of slimy. And once you get used to the smell you sort of forget it´s there. But I think once is enough for me. I ate it outside the apartment block because I didn´t want to stink out the whole building but everyone who walked past gave me weird looks and I saw a few cyclists actually lose their balance on their bikes when they rode past.

We made sushi today for lunch. Kind of ugly looking but extremely tasty nonetheless, especially since I´ve been deprived of decent Japanese food for so long. Taught Elisabeth some new words: beanie, stuffed toy, resurrect and learnt a few as well: turkey, car (very important because they have these yummy lollies shaped like cars), fringe. Oh, and cheese but only so I can see if it´s in sandwiches.

No comments: