Monday, September 18, 2006

San Mateo madness






These are some photos from San Mateo. On Sunday, we went to the Plaza de Toros to watch the Corridas. This time, however, they didn´t kill the bulls, just sort of taunted them harmlessly. It was great to watch. The one with the seesaw was pretty cool- if the bull attacked one of the guys, the guy in the middle had to swing that side up. After the first round, they let a cow in and when she trotted out, the bull followed. They later did the same thing but with a fake cow (two guys in a cow costume) and the bull followed them out as well. Maybe bulls are stupid or blind. At the end, they let in normal people to run around the ring with the bulls. I was going to go but am glad I didn´t because you need to be able to run really fast and jump over the fence surrounding the ring and I don´t think I would´ve been able to with my knee. There´s another one on Saturday though and I should be fine enough to run around then. One guy got thrown a couple of times by the bull because he wasn´t fast enough hopping over the fence but he looked pretty intact when the bull had finished with him.

Photos from top left: launch of San Mateo; communal shower in Calle Major; Mel, Veronica, Em and I (new haircut!); bull ring; bull following cow

No comments: