Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ghengis will never be forgotten

He has passed away. It was an awful shock to my system and I ran shrieking to Mel's room to tell her the news at 6 am in the morning. She told me not to give up hope, that perhaps he was hibernating but when we looked again a few hours later he was indeed deceased. I keep asking myself why. What did we do wrong? Was it because he was anorexic and never ate? Was he just too young? Was he not destined to stay in this world for long? Perhpas it would have been better if we'd never had him. I loved him so dearly. So tiny and yet with such a large personality.

We skipped the uni party and had a funeral for him. Mel read an Emily Dickinson poem ('A death blow is a life blow to some'- one of her few not-too-depressing ones), I said a few words and we closed the casket and drifted him to sea on the Rio Ebro. We found a casket that actually had a turtle on the lid and we put a few shrimps in with him so he wouldn't feel so alone. Goodbye, my unique little friend.

No comments: