Friday, November 03, 2006

Real Madrid vs. Bucharest

Yesterday was absolutely fantastic (except for the part where I had to wake up at 6:30 am). For only 30 euros, we got a bus to and from Madrid and tickets to see the soccer match between Real Madrid and Bucharest. Met up with Monique and Beth for lunch at The Wok (YAY! ASIAN FOOD! ASIAN FOOD!) which was the best meal I'd had in ages, despite the fact that we waited more than an hour for it, so I basically didn't eat all day till 3 pm, by which time my stomach had shrunk so I could barely fit it all in. But I still managed to crawl next door with Em, Beth and Monique for a Starbucks chai latte while Mel and Alexis went to the Reina Sofia.

The game started at 8:45 and our seats were in the last row but one, but near the halfway line so we still managed to see everything pretty well. Bucharest played better in the first half and then in the second half Ronaldo and Beckham came on and they lagged. Someone on the Madrid team scored an accidental goal- one of those really slow motion ones that sort of just roll across the white line while everyone freezes and watches it. The Bucharest goalie nearly killed himself, he was so upset. Just the atmosphere of being at the game of one of the best soccer teams in the world was fantastic. I have decided though, that when I become world dictator, I'm going to ban those hooting things that fans have at the games. They are the most irritating, eardrum popping, horrible inventions of all time, along with nuclear bombs.

Real Madrid won 1-0 because Bucharest just kept missing goals by inches. The end of a game is always such an anticlimax because all the players just stop and start shaking hands. Unless someone scores a goal 2 seconds before the end or falls down dead. We headed back to Logrono at 11:30, got home before 4 am and I spent most of today sleeping. I have become the most incredible bum ever. I had no food left in the house (and I'd eaten practically all of Mel's) but I couldn't be bothered changing out of my dressing gown to walk half a minute down the street to the supermarket. I eventually did because I wanted to check if my package from Allen had arrived and Mel promised to buy me a kinder surprise egg if I went.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i would do anything for a kinder surprise egg too!!! and sometimes our dishes aren't washed for more than a DAY! then i think about your ex-flatmate....btw, thanks for the swimming people. they are hilarious. If you bend one leg they swim in a circle.