Thursday, August 03, 2006

Goodbye, Berlin

Leaving for Warsaw tonight and very sad to be leaving Berlin. Hopefully I´ll have a chance to return here before I leave for Sydney in January.

Went out clubbing on Tuesday night. I was a bit apprehensive going out by myself but nothing happened and it does feel very liberating to be going out by yourself and not caring about other people. I think I passed some hookers on the way, but I´m not sure if they were hookers or just people dressed really tartily waiting for their friends. The club I went to was playing indie rock, but the DJ wasn´t especially good. Had fun though. Wish I could be here on a weekend, when the crazy clubs open.

Yesterday I went to Brecht Haus, which was where Brecht lived the last years of his life and died. Most of the rooms were left pretty much as they were when he died. Visited his tomb again, still couldn´t find Hegel´s tomb. Went to the Charlottenburg Summer palace and Museum Berggruen which has works by Picasso, Matisse and Klee. The New Synagogue was very new inside (I suppose because it got bombed and blasted during and after WWII) but definitely worth the visit. When I went to the East Side Gallery, it started raining a bit, so I only walked about 200 metres of it. Took photos of Luther all around Berlin; he´s very photogenic. Was going to go out again last night, to this bar that often has poetry readings at night but was exhausted so fell asleep at 9. I love how Berlin has all this artists´ workshops and is just so conducive to creativity.

No comments: