Monday, August 28, 2006

Back in Amsterdam

I'm SICK! I suspect because every morning when I step foot outside my hostel, it's pouring with rain, so my feet are wet and I walk around with wet feet all day and wet clothes and wet pants. Am feverish. Not pleased. Luckily I bought a supply of panadol. And I can't drink too much water because then I'll need to pee and peeing is an expensive habit in Amsterdam/Europe. 30-50 centimos/visit.

Grumpy. Very grumpy. It doesn't help that I need to be at airport at 4 am for checkin so I didn't book accommodation. Will sleep all day tomorrow in Barcelona. After visiting bookshop. My face is all swollen from the mosquito bites. I was wrong- I was actually bitten nine times on my face and neck, not four times. Bloody mosquitoes. Death to them. Unless they were bedbugs like Carolina suggested. Death to bedbugs too.

Visited the oldest chocolate shop in Belgium and bought some chocolate that I tried to savour but ended up gobbling because it was so tasty. Ate at least one waffle every day. Went to the only brewery left in Belgium (and perhaps the world) that uses the lambic system, but after the fascinating self-tour of the place, I'm still not sure what the lambic system is. But they had nice beer. Couldn't visit the Comic Strip Museum or Musical Instruments Museum because it was a Monday and on Monday all good museums are closed. Well, most anyway. Got wet. Nearly dropped Luther in the crusher at the brewery. I bought him a t-shirt at a Sunday market in Antwerp. He looks adorable in it; it says 'You Are Nr 1' on it. Now he looks like a real tourist instead of a small black (and increasingly dirty) sheep.

No comments: