Tuesday, August 01, 2006

From Paris to Berlin

Am in love with Berlin. It´s such an ugly city, with no pretension, nothing to be arrogant about. It´s a melting pot of contradictions, Soviet communist history along with German nazism, historical and art museums along with clubs, bar and pubs, the Berlin Wall, the book-burning plaza, Brecht´s tomb... Also found an Australian Icecream store about 5 minutes from my hostel. AND they have the coconut sorbet that tastes like icecream (although I have to admit it tastes a bit different in my memory... better...) so I guess I´m set.

Went on a Berlin walking tour today. I was going to buy a guidebook for the same price but I´m glad I went on the tour. The tour guide really knew what she was talking about, and you find out things the books probably don´t have. Stood on top of the bunker where Hitler spent his last days, walked through the Brandenburg gate, went to Checkpoint Charlie, saw the memorial to the 200 000 odd books burnt, the Holocaust memorial to the Jews...

Also went to the Jewish History Museum which has a Freud exhibition at the moment, but the Freud was very disappointing. Very superficial. The museum was good though. Now I´m heading back to Checkpoint Charlie to take Luther´s photo with it. He says hi but that it´s really squishy in my bag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, cath I just sent a email to you 2 minutes ago. You are such a lucky girl that you can visit so many famous cities that I dont have the chance to see, actually, I really dream that I can have this trip with you. but anyway, dream just dream. bye.

Monica Tan said...

I love the greyness of German cities. There's a sense of repression, but also quiet crazy intensity simmering underneath it all. Especially in Berlin!