Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Want to SCREAM

I'm so incredibly frustrated. I've been on the internet for an hour and a half trying to find accommodation that's cheap and central in Zagreb and there's NOTHING. Very tempted to book hotel at Sheraton for 3 nights and use up my budget for the next two weeks but sleep in a biiiiiig soft bed with clean, crisp sheets. But the prices are ludicrous.

Also, my computer screen went black and when I went to tell the internet cafe guy, who was playing cards, he got really pissed off because I interrupted his game and acted like it was the biggest inconvenience in the world to check why the computer had crashed. He sighed and stomped around like anything and dropped a card. I noticed but didn't tell him because if he's going to be such an asshole, he deserves to lose the game. So HA! to him.

Made it to Warsaw (though still no apology or email from Deutsche Touring, sucky stupid company) and Krakow and Auschwitz. Auschwitz was a very confronting experience, especially Auschwitz Birkenau, which had a very haunting quality to it. All the rows upon rows of sheds, all empty now, with the grass finally springing back to life after the evacuation. We walked past the area where the ashes of the cremated were thrown and you can still see the whites of some bones. Auschwitz-I was more gory. There was a display of the hair that had been shaved off all the gassed female prisoners which formed a mountain, some of it still braided. Apparently the SS sent the hair off to line jackets, make clothes and mattresses and stuff. I'm not sorry I went, but being so close to so much suffering was painful. I felt physically sick in the crematoria. But I think it's important to see things like this and keep places like Auschwitz as a museum so we can realise that so much horror has happened and can happen again if we're not careful.

Leave for Vienna tomorrow. I'm giving up on Zagreb accommodation. I think I'll get there and think about it then. As Scarlett says, 'I won't think about it now, I'll think about it tomorrow.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that Scarlett said " tomorrow is another day " am I right ? or I am too old to remember those 40 years ago movies.why dont you stay in a 5 star hotel just like you mentioned in this blog ? I had told you to do this in the email I sent you 5 minutes ago, 1 night is all right, if not 5 star, may be 4 or 3 star hotel.ok?

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what Auschwitz must be like. You wonder how people can be so insensitive to life to be able to just order the death of millions with a snap of the fingers.