Monday, February 27, 2006

Fiestas and Carnaval


Emily, Louis and Breda had a party at their place on Friday night. Mel and I were pretty tired so we decided to go early and leave early. Ha! We ended up being the last ones to leave with Javier. The party ended at around 1:30 because the neighbours complained and the police came and told us to shut up. I'm not surprised- if I were a neighbour I'd be really pissed off too, especially if I were an old and cranky person. Javier told us the police usually come with a sound measuring device and if you're making over a certain decibel of sound you get fined around 150 or 200 Euros. But the police that came weren't fining police. I'm not a very social person, and I find chitchat very inane and pointless but I like talking to people I already know, so I spent most of the night talking to Javier, which I enjoyed. The top photo is a photo of the party. The smoky look is probably from all the pot smoke that was floating around. I was sitting next to the window, taking a breath of air every now and then. I think that's Melissa taking down some people's details for pisos. Poor girl. She got accosted by some freaky guy who kept calling me to ask if she'd found a place yet. Don't know how he got my number.

On Saturday night, Mel, Emily and I decided to dress up as Charlie's Angels. Guess which one I was supposed to be. We got these really cool guns from a variety store that shout 'FIRE!' and then make machine gun noises and flash lights, except Emily dropped hers before we went out and broke it. Some costumes were absolutely fantastic. My favourite were these guys that dressed up like desert islands with a palm tree over their heads and skinny little legs on their desert. People really put an effort into looking good. We weren't going to get dressed up but Javier said everyone does. He and his friends dressed up as Ghost Busters and some slime ghosts from the movie.

We went to a party first but left after around 20 minutes because it seemed more fun to be in the city with the other people. Shame it was raining and freezing. The Ghost Busters were playing drinking games so we went there to meet them, then to some bar/club/dancing place where they played old pop hits and Spanish songs. It's great- you can't get that kind of music in clubs anywhere in Sydney because it's just not supposed to be cool, but here everyone was dancing away and laughing their heads off. After this place, we went to another bar/club/dancing place, but left soon because there were some idiots who kept shoving us and when we left they followed us out and punched Javier's friend Boby in the face.

It was kind of freaky but funny at the same time because the guy was dressed as a cardinal or priest with a sparkly pink wig. I was so tempted to take a photo of him shouting at Javier's friends but I was afraid he might see me and punch me in the face too. I don't chivalry is very alive in Spain. In Sydney, very few guys would hit a girl in the face but here they didn't seem to care who was around or who got involved. Breda was very angry because Boby is a very harmless and sweet looking guy who hadn't even been near the cardinals in the bar, and she looked like she was about to start her own brawl with the guys.

We ended up leaving because it looked like our night was over. Not a bad effort- got home at around 6:30 in the morning.

No comments: