Saturday, February 11, 2006

I have a home!

Moved into my place today, the wallpaper is so hysterically atrocious I really have to take a photo and post it up. My flatmoate Laure is French and really nice, although she speaks Spanish with a French accent so it's a bit hard to understand. We caught a taxi there, and I swear the taxi driver was inebriated. We couldn't even fit our luggage in the back of the taxi because he had cases and cases of wine filling it up. I hadn't seen the elevator the first time I visited and had nightmares about lugging 60 kgs of clothes up three flights of stairs.

As soon as Emily had left to have a look at a piso, I looked around my room and nearly started crying and tearing my hair out. It wasn't the decor (although that's enough to make anyone cry) or the flat or anything, but the fact that for the first time since I got here I realised how alone I was, that I wouldn't be able to just leave my room and find someone to talk to, or walk outside and give my dog a scratch and a massage. So I called Allen because I desperately wanted to hear his voice and he said he'd call me back but didn't for half an hour by which time I was bawling and ready to curl up in my flea infested blankets and die. Actually, I don't know if they're flea infested because I haven't used them yet but I suspect they haven't been washed since they were bought.

Allen finally got back to me, and I screamed at him for a while for taking so long to get back to me, but it didn't really make me feel better so I stopped. Was really feeling very miserable, but eventually he made me feel better and then had to go to bed.

Not sure what I'm doing tonight yet. Javier said he'd let us know about the party he's going to, but that might be at 10 or 11 pm by which time I might already be in bed and too tired to move.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience when I first arrived sao paulo, Brasil 35 years ago, you are on your own, nobody to talk to, nobody to rely on, nobody to help you, yet, we are lucky because we have our God to rely on. god bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, listen to this. I thought this was funny and that God had a sense of humour. (though actually I think it's quite serious, and you wouldn't want to be the strong man.) It reminded me of the story Carolina wrote about rolling the dog into a ball and rolling it at the bolwing pins.
Behold, the LORD will hurl you away violently, O you strong man. He will seize firm hold on you and whirl you around and around, and throw you like a ball into a wide land. Is. 23:2

Anonymous said...

Hope you find these verses helpful.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 24.27

Anonymous said...

Alfie loves you and rubs his nose with you.

Caro said...

MY DAD IS ON BLOG?!?!?!?! WHA?!?!?!?! Pardon? He was actually asking for the site link, but i didn't give it to him in case you didn't want him to know. I wrote a story rolling dog into bowling pins? Oh how embarassing, pls do not remind me.