Monday, February 13, 2006

I foresee alcohol poisoning

Javier took us out on Saturday night. We met his friends Reuben and Fernando, then later managed to accumulate another guy called Louis and two girls and another guy. He asked us to meet him at 10, which is pretty normal I guess for Sydney, but he took us to some tapas bars, and thats when the people eat. Each person hands over 10 euros to one person, and that person becomes the kitty (or if you want to be rude, puta del bote) and goes into each tapas bar and orders the food and drink. We went to five in total, even though I was already stuffed by the third one. The food tastes so fantastic and each one is like a mini meal. After the second one I asked for beer because I didn't want to get drunk. They don't give you a whole glass or schooner luckily, it's only about the size of three shots.

After the tapas, we went to a bar to play this drinking game where you buy a few litres of coke mixed with wine. Apparently it's not as bad a goon, but almost. Everyone gets a glass, about 200 mL, and there are two dice. Depending on what it lands on, either you challenge someone and the shots keep increasing, or the Jacks drink, or the person on your left, or everyone drinks at the same time and the last person to finish the drink and say 'mierda' had to drink another glass. You roll the dice at the beginning to see if you're a Jack. After the first two litres were gone (and Javier was really mean, he kept topping my glass up to the brim instead of 3/4 full) Emily and I sat out for the next round because this was more than I'd drunk for a long long long time. After the second round, the boys gave us a handicap where they were all Jacks and we didn't have to roll, so I only had to drink twice in this round.

Went to a 'dsicoteque' afterwards, with a mixture of Spanish, Mexican and American pop songs. So much fun, but everyone smokes and my eyes were stinging from the fumes. One of the boys bought us some shots, which were surprisingly tasty- not gross at all. They looked like bright green detergent but tasted like apple and had a lolly worm on the top which you eat after drinking the shot. At about 3:30 am Emily was tired and I really needed to use the bathroom which I didn't want to use at the place because it's just a hole with no flush, so we told the guys we were leaving. Everyone called us pikers and claimed that we weren't having fun, which we were, but they didn't believe us and kept trying to guilt trip us into staying. If you do it right, it seems you stay out till 7 am. My voice was hoarse from the smoke; I didn't even shout or talk that much all night.

Promised Javier I'd stay out till at least 5 am next time, and went home. Hope I can keep my promise. The smoke here is killing my lungs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey maybe next time you should go around in a mask so you don't do passive smoking. Though people might look at you strangely. Ah well. It means that they also won't ask you to drink! the worm lolly sounds yummy though.