Sunday, February 19, 2006

Strange things


Ha! It's raining today and it's a Sunday so I have no reason to go outside. Nothing is open. At least I think it's raining; it might just be the upstairs neighbours doing their laundry. But it definitely looks grey and foggy. Kaley, my other flatmate got back yesterday morning at 2am. She's very nice and clean. She told me the fan above the stove doesn't work because a few months ago, a bird flew into it. It's apparently not stuck there any more because it doesn't smell, but it must have done something to the fan and destroyed it.
Photo of me and Emily

I didn't go out last night, and so glad I didn't. Spent two hours talking to Allen on skype instead. I've been out the last three nights, and they sort of become very similar and monotonous. The other night we went out with Breda's friend Ion who took us to the same tapas bars that Javier took us to, and then he and his friends went to another drinking game place and played a different drinking game, but the concept was very similar. And they drank kalimocho too (a mix of wine and coke). Bah. I'm so antisocial.

Here's a list of things about Spain that I have yet to get used to:
* Almost everyone has a dog and no one picks up after them.
* They don't check your credit card signature, they check your name against a photo ID
* It's very difficult to find lined notebooks- everything's grid paper
* People don't tend to jaywalk (except for this one old man with a cane and a hobble who took three minutes to get across the street and the cars had to wait for him)
* People stare
* There are naked photos on the front of magazines that are equivalent to Women's Weekly that just sit on top of the counter at magazine stores
* No soy milk at the cafes and you can't get hot chocolates at regular cafes, only at ones called chocolaterias.
* No MILO

I'm sure there are more but I can't remember them. I'll be sure to update my list.

4 comments:

Lura said...

- same thing happened with the CC - everytime I wanted to swipe, they'll ask for my passport. got rather annoying.

- haha I miss milo too. they sell milo in chinatown but at exorbiant prices. i asked my mum to bring some over, but she brought over milo from Hk. its not the same thing.

love your updates. byee

Caro said...

Yo. Have started reading your blog again. You seem to have a lot of time on your hands dear. My blog hasnt been updated since last year. When i finish this temp job maybe I'll write everyday.

Monica Tan said...

When are you going to visit me?

Monica Tan said...

And don't ever listen to people who tell you you have too much time on your hands and are writing in your blog too much.