Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Venom-times Day

I've decided that February 13th is going to be Venom-times Day, as an antidote to the consumerism and fake love of February 14th. On this day, you tell the people you know what you really think of them. And then possibly make it up to them the next day by buying them a box of chocolates or a Hallmark card and ask for forgiveness.

I have to admit it's hard not to get sucked into all this when everyone around you is doing it, and when all the windows have huge red love hearts displayed, and when the world thinks being single is a crime, or that you're defective if you don't have a partner.

Speaking of which, the funniest thing happened... Actually, it's not funny at all, I'm slightly unnerved and irritated. Gym Guy called me yesterday after my big night out, when I'd just woken up at 5 pm, to ask if I wanted to go for a coffee with him. I didn't understand a word he said so handed the phone over to Louis my French-Canadian friend who speaks pretty good Spanish. I said yes to coffee because I didn't know how to say no politely and also because I didn't want everyone to hear me say no, but about half an hour before I went I asked if it would be a problem if Emily came as well. (It's not like you can say no to that). He said he was going by himself but Emily could come if she wanted (more like I wanted). When we met up we were all talking and he asked me what I liked doing. I said 'WELL, my BOYFRIEND likes swimming so I've been swimming a lot lately with him, and it's a lot of fun.' I thought he'd get the picture after that, and he seemed to. But today Emily and I and her new flatmate whose name I can't spell but it sounds like 'Breeder' (like people who mate dogs and sell the puppies) went to a Latin dance class and Gym Guy was there. He offered to walk us home, and I was going to go home but I didn't want to get walked home with him by myself so when Emily and Breeda asked me to their flat for dinner I jumped at the offer. Emily accidentally asked him over as well- bad Spanish wording- but managed to amend that by saying 'Thank you for walking us home' and 'Goodbye'. On the way home though, he was telling me how he can speak some Japanese and he likes manga and other Japanese things, and how he's single because all his female friends are in different cities and how his friends have girlfriends... I'M NOT JAPANESE. And I don't want to go out with him. And BLERGH!!! SO ANNOYED!!! He asked me if I was going to the gym tomorrow and I said no. I was thinking of going, but not if he's going to be there. I hate working out with other people anyway. I need to concentrate on nurturing my muscles. And I have a boyfriend who is as lovely as the pretzel I took a photo of. Lovlier because he's not encrusted with salt which is the only thing I don't like about the pretzels.

On the plus side, today I went to my first capoiera class. So much fun. I'm definitely joining up and doing it twice a week. When I get back to Australia I'll see if I can do classes with Allen. I'm very inept but not as bad as this guy who looks like Mr Bean.

7 comments:

Lura said...

hey hon!
mel passed me your link. hows spain? whereabouts are you. I hope you settling in and having lots of fun.
Cheers
Laura

Lura said...

ooH just read your email. definitely come over and stay in my room. if you want to be spontaneous, come over this weekend or otherwise any weekend other than 4/5 or 24/26 in March. see you

Anonymous said...

Do you know that capoeira dancing was originally came from Brazil, I had learned it when I was in Brazil, well, may be came from Africa, who knows, its beautiful. not like chinese Tai Chi which play slowly.and I like doing things fast.

Phaloway said...

Hi! it's amazing what you can find when you look for 'Logrono' in the Blogger searcher. My nick is Phaloway and I'm from Logroño. Hope you have a good time here and not many problems with gym guys and stuff ;)
if you want, you can't have a look at my blog, altough it's written in Spanish.
Read you soon!
P.s. (I must be one of those little people that eating such greasy food is fat ;)

Phaloway said...

Sorry I meant that you CAN have a look at my blog if you feel like(I'm afraid i'm loosing my English... :-S

Anonymous said...

Darrrhling!
Missing you muchly. Though I'm dealing with it in a much more healthy way than your Gree who BITES me. He must be in aggressive-denial mode. Next time Gym Guy talks to you, lunge at him and hiss. If he still wants to talk, run away very fast. Not only does he think you're Japanese, he is also very wierd. What is capoiera? Dad says it is very fast, but many things are fast, like you running away from Gym Guy. lah lah lah. It's 3.07 am. Mum told me not to drink Chinese tea thing but I did and now I can't sleep. Maybe I should clean room because Japanese lady is coming tomorrow. Hey I think you left your messiness behind and gave it to me. I also have this itching lump under my eyelid. Not sure if the two are related though.
love lisa

Anonymous said...

"or that you're defective if you don't have a partner"

that was me!