Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Disease Phase Two

For some reason I looked very stunned in the picture. Hahaha haha hahaha. This was before I became very ill (note the mirthless laugh). Last night, Emily, Mel, Breda, Louis, Laure, Javier and Fernando took me out for my birthday. Cayley was sick so she stayed home and slept. We went to a crepe place in Logrono, which was absolutely delectable. I plan to take my mum and Allen there when they come, although it's French and not really Spanish. I did very well- I managed to eat a whole savoury crepe by myself and then most of the banana and caramel one. It felt wonderful to gorge after not eating for so long. Afterwards, we went to a salsa bar called Tropicana (I think) but this was when I started feeling really shivery and unwell.

When I got home, I jumped into bed with my hot water bottle and heat pack, but I was still freezing. My temperature was 39.2, and I felt like dying. I think being sick away from home is the worst feeling in the world. In the morning, my temperature was still the same, so Javier went in to the uni to ask about what doctor I should see. Apparently in Spain everyone is assigned a doctor. However, since I'm not a citizen, the public hospital turned me away, so we went looking for a private one. Javier found one relatively close to me and made an appointment for me, but when we got there it turned out to be a clinic for 'obesidad'. It was the funniest consultation I've ever had. The doctor seemed very unsure of himself, and wrote me two scripts, one for today, and one for two days later, in case the first lot of medication didn't do me any good. He never actually said what was wrong with me, although he did listen to my chest while I breathed and looked like he was pondering. Javier was so apologetic for taking me there but I didn't mind too much- it was about on par with the 24 hour Medical Centre at home (which incidentally is a misnomer because it's not open 24 hours) and at least I didn't have to wait 2 hours to see someone. Plus at least he didn't look at me and say 'Yes, yes, I see you have a problem with obesity.'

The consultation cost 20 Euros, which is really cheap compared to Australia, and I got some antibiotics which I can take. I started coughing up blood which really unnerved me but my dad said it was probably just from too much stress on my throat. He thinks you can tell a lot about a person's disease by the colour of his/her phlegm. I think the antibiotics are working- my throat doesn't hurt as much, although my obliques are like rocks from coughing too much. I guess that means I don't have to do situps for a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Cath!

I'm sorry you were ill. I agree that being sick away from home is the worst--there's no one around obliged to take care of you, and it seems very likely that you will die, and no one will know until the smell of your decaying corpse wafts into the breakfast room.

Or is it just me who has these fears?

Hope you stay well, and it's HILARIOUS that it was an Obesidad clinic!!

Anonymous said...

that crepe looks oh-so delicious

Anonymous said...

oops that food comment was me! laura! haha. love you

Caro said...

I probably need to go to that clinic :( How did you manage to get the photos uploaded if your camera was stolen? Didn't you tell me your camera was taken too? I'm feeling a bit better myself btw. I think i guzzled too much pizza for dinner.