Sunday, March 19, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

On Friday Breda, who is Irish by descent, wanted to go out and celebrate St. Patrick's Day. We went to her flat first and everyone was taking shots except for me because I'm on antibiotics. Actually I didn't want to drink anyway, and it's a good excuse. Maybe I'll pretend to be on antibiotics indefinitely. The photo on the left is of a shot of apple schnapps with a splash of Baileys. If you look carefully you can see how the Baileys has sunk to the bottom so it looks like a stomach in preserving liquid.

Afterwards we went to an Irish pub. They were giving out Guinness hats if you buy two pints of Guinness but had run out by the time we got there. We met some really cool Irish people and a Canadian and a guy who's read my blog came and said hello to me too. Then some freaky Spanish guy came up and asked where we were from and when we said Australia, he looked at me and said 'No! You have Oriental eyes.' He kept asking me where I was really from and finally went away because he was pissing me off and I was ignoring him. Actually, I asked him 'Do you have sunstroke?' in English and he looked at me blankly and said 'Que?' and then went away when I didn't repeat it.

It was so interesting seeing an Irish pub in Spain, where everyone's drinking Guinness and speaking in Spanish.

1 comment:

Phaloway said...

I'm the one that reads u... It was nice to see you in person (Logroño is too small I knew I would see you some time) :D