Thursday, March 30, 2006

My Kitchen- the Hellish Hole of Doom

Our kitchen is a petri dish of disease. As I type, new colonies are being created. Before I left for Madrid, I neglected to wash the pot that contained my 5 kg of curry. It was my fault- I should have washed it- but in my defense, I was soaking it and I was already feeling a bit unwell the night before leaving so it wasn't on the forefront of my mind. Anyway, I come back, and what do I find? The same pot with the same water inside it, plus numerous other dishes and cutlery, plus around five bags of garbage lying on the floor.

Normally if I'm doing my own washing up and there are extra dishes in the sink, I'll wash them up too but it infuriated me that even after all the extra dishes I've done, no one bothered to wash one measly pot. If they had done any washing up at all in the last week, which is questionable. So I left everything else I hadn't used in the sink and the pots and pans caked with pasta and pasta sauce on the stove.

But I'm in agony. The floor of the kitchen, especially under the table, is packed full of rubbish bags. None of it is mine because I took out all the rubbish before leaving for Madrid, so I shouldn't have to take it out but UGH!!!!! UGH!!!! How can someone live like that? When I came in this afternoon, the kitchen smelt like bad food. I actually had to air it out.

So- I am in a dilemma. Should I take out the rubbish and wash up the dishes so I can feel clean and healthy or should I leave it there so they learn that they need to take out their own crap and clean up after themselves?

Postscript: I had to take a photo of the state of our kitchen. It has to be seen to be believed. Most of the cereal boxes and milk cartons on the table are empty. We now have garbage lining our hallway because there's no more space under the kitchen table to put it.

3 comments:

Monica Tan said...

Ahh, a familiar problem. Every household is divided into two, the cleanies, and the dirties. If only houses had all cleanies or all dirties. (But even that wouldn't work because there's varying degrees of cleany and dirty, so the more clean would become the cleanies and the moderate clean, though still clean, would assume the role of dirty.)

This was Julia's solution: put all of the garbage on the dining room table so it couldn't be ignored. If that doesn't work put it in their bed. Like the see them leave it now, eh?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Caro said...

Indeed, the cleaner people in the household end up doing all the work. Why do you think i left home?