Friday, March 31, 2006

The kitchen saga ends

So- I ended up cleaning everything. One of the rubbish bags was leaking and stank and dripped as I removed it from our domicile. Also, there were empty milk cartons that smelt like off-milk and there's nothing I hate more than the smell of milk, especially off-milk. Except maybe rotting garbage and faecal matter. I took out nine bags of rubbish plus numerous recycling items. And then I mopped our floors and disinfected them with bleach, and cleaned the bathroom and washed the dishcloths. I found a colony of pink mould on the taps in the bathroom (and I'd thought it was some fancy pink steel the Spaniards liked using) and what I'd thought was mottled enamel on our basin was actually grime. For once our kitchen and bathroom sparkled. Wonder how long it will last.

Cayley said she'd thought the 5L pot was Laure's which was why she didn't wash it up because she's so sick of cleaning up after her. I can't be too angry at Laure though because even though it is frustrating to live with someone who would let 9 bags of rubbish pile up over a week (because everything she eats comes out of a packet), her boyfriend did fix my socket for me. The power socket in my room was always falling out of the wall so you could see the cords, but today one of the cords came undone and I had my computer plugged in, so when I tried to remove it, it kept going 'SPOFF, SPOFF' and blue sparks would fly out. I didn't know what to do except not touch it, so I asked him and he turned off the electricity, fiddled with it for 10 minutes and it was back to normal. It's still coming out of the wall but he said he has something in his house that he'll bring over tomorrow to secure it. I now have around seven books propping it up.

When I went to the gym yesterday, these crazy beautiful weeds had sprouted all around the building so it looked like a yellow field out of a Miyazaki film. They must have appeared in less than a week because I'd been to the gym last Friday and it was all still barren and foreboding. Some of them are taller than I am. Mutant weeds.

I created a new recipe yesterday as I thought about what I could cook to use up the almost-expired eggs and tomatos in my fridge. It's called Catherine's Secret Omelette Recipe. But it's not very secret. You fry up some garlic, chop as much spinach as you need to get rid of, chop as many tomatos as you need to get rid of, whisk as many eggs as you need to get rid of, chop up as much ham as you want, throw it all into the saucepan together and cook until it looks done. Our fridge is strange. When I tried to crack two of the eggs, they wouldn't crack. I thought maybe I'd boiled them and forgot about it, so I peeled them and they had frozen solid. Quite gross. The other eggs were fine though. I wasn't sure if you could defrost frozen eggs and use them again so I chucked them out. My dad thinks I'm getting sick because I keep eating almost-expired food to save money.

1 comment:

Caro said...

That is like SO gross. I can't believe the depths of disgusting you'd go to. But share housing is pretty gross. What's the book - He died with a falafel in his hand? Have you read it? We used to have it, but i was so grossed out i might have given it away.